Mission in Action
“In as much as you have done it unto one of the least of these my brothers you have done it unto me”
After a hiatus of more than 5 years, MIA is going back into action. Missionaries Derek and Mimi Elles of Straight Path Ministries, have provided the God sent opportunity to go back to Guatemala to serve God’s people there. Derek and Mimi work with many local congregations to provide a variety of ministries.
Immanuel’s medical team will be able to set up clinic days in several of those locations. The plan is to provide medical, dental and eye glass clinics at each location.
With these clinics, people’s needs are met and they are shown Christian love at each stop along the way.
All of the team members are volunteers. Each have felt the calling to serve their Lord. Each member is trained or will be trainedin either triage, lab, pharmacy, dental or eye glasses. The team is led by doctors who have served several times in the past. Each team member pays for their own airfare, hotel and meals.
The cost is approximately $2,000. Many ask why someone would pay that much money and use vacation time to go to a country to work and sweat from morning until night. The answer comes in the smiles of the people receiving help, in the hugs from the children, in the sincere thank you, and in the response when you have said, Vaya con Dios (Go with God in Spanish).
For each trip funds need to be raised for medications, durable medical goods, in country transportation, translators, The funds needed to be raised for these items are about $25,000 per trip.
Our purpose here at Immanuel in preparing and sending short-term Mission teams is:
- To fulfill the mandate given us in the Great Commission to go and make disciples (Matt. 28:19-20).
- To strive to win people for Christ through first helping to meet their most basic needs (James 2:14-18).
- To model our Christian faith in our communities, our nation and in foreign lands, through our example of loving and a caring servant-hood (Matthew 20:25-28)
- To offer medical care, dental care, eye care, teamed with spiritual care - believing together they are an integral part in making people whole. (Luke 9:11b)
It is the goal of Mission in Action (MIA) to continue to reachout . . .
- In Our Community: through working at shelters, soup kitchens, preparing lunches, etc.
- In Our Nation: Through youth and adults trips to wherever the need is felt in the USA.
- In Our World: Continued trips to Guatemala (July 2017), and looking wherever God would lead us.
With God’s guidance and help from many friends we will continue to follow God’s direction to serve.